Thursday, August 28, 2008

There Will Be Blood

No, Jeff and I did not rent this movie... I am speaking of the "not commonly discussed" phenomenon of

BOYS!

Why did I judge my friends and family who have sons when their children came to events with cuts, scratches and stitches? Why did I not believe them when they TOLD me that my son would look like this as soon as he started walking...

no, I scoffed at their claims... I poo-pooed their warnings... I laughed in their faces and they insisted that I, too, would have a son "just like theirs".....

nooooo, I said. I insisted in my mind that he would be sweet and cuddly... he would sit on my lap and let me read to him... he would stay in one room without the use of *gasp* gates or the use of *double gasp* a pack and play. MY SON would not run amok through the mall screaming and toss himself on the ground for no apparent reason... MY SON would not try to scale the couch and would certainly respond to the word "no" and promptly sit on his bottom at the mere "dirty look" from his all-knowing mother.

I have learned in the past few months that all of my pre-conceived notions I had about raising a boy were shattered.

Parents raising sons, I ask you... is it common that they bleed... like ONCE A WEEK???? (sarcasm intended in this post)

seriously folks, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this kid...I take him to the doctor regularly, and he is a "normal 17 month old" who tosses himself onto his FACE whenever he feels like it...

2 weeks ago he bit his lip...not a little bite - a GIANT CHOMP of his lip... how... NO CLUE.. just running and playing... and the boy hardly made a fuss.. if I personally bit MY lip that hard, I would pass out, then be in bed for the rest of the week.

Yesterday, he was running full speed along the kitchen floor... the boy like the sound of his bare feet pounding against the floor... I heard:

slap, slap, slap... followed by a GIANT SLAP of his whole body hitting the floor... face first... good, LORD! Again, I would be hospitalized because my close-to-mid-thirty-but-feels-like-eighty-year-old body would SO not recover from this! He, on the contrary, just fussed a few seconds and wanted, "down, mum, down, mum." Kid - you are bleeding from the mouth - I would like to see if you have teeth missing.. then you may get down! Thank Goodness, all teeth in place... the mouth sure does bleed a lot more than the actual injury deserves.

I tell people that he does these things... feeling the need to explain myself with my child looking like a prize-fighter... I have a daughter who is 13... no stitches, no broken bones, no bloody noses... this is so new to me...mom's with son's just brush it off as if there is a club manual that they got that told them this, so they are unfazed... "he is ALL BOY" .. the comment I get regularly... sheesh... this ALL BOY is going to give me a HUGE HEART ATTACK!

Inhale, Exhale,

post signature

22 comments:

Amy said...

You are TOO FUNNY! My Brayden is , yes, ALL BOY!!! He doesn't bleed all that often, but he ALWAYS has a bruise, scratch, scrape, etc somewhere on his body. He gets bloody noses easily as it is...doc is not concerned...so any slight bump will start a flood. Boys are so funny. I have to comment too that Brayden rarely cries, fusses or complains about these booboos. I have learned that if he does cry, I need to be concerned.

Good luck with your boy!

Our Complete Family said...

You are a RIOT!
My hubby is off work today and I had him come in to read this entry with me b/c it is just so funny the way you have it written~ not the blood of course!!! My son goes through this, too. His legs are a battleground of cuts and scrapes. And my daughter? She is following in his shoes? What the heck? She is supposed to be a princess after all! Glad you popped over to my blog today, too! Yes of course you can link to it. I love that!!! Happy day wishes and go buy some cute bandaids. That is how I get through the cuts and scrapes ;) Make them all cutesy and it's all good girl!!! xo

Anonymous said...

you speak the truth my friend....I feel your pain!

The Frugal Countess said...

I spit coffee. You are funny woman! So because you amuse me, I forgive you for not inviting me to your secret smurf blog network. ;-)

Poor Mo. Give that little testosterone-laden destruction machine a snuggle from his friends in Florida. xoxoxoxo

Kathy said...

You are right on with this post! My son doesn't bleed but we use a lot of ice packs around here. And not because he is crying but because Mommy wants to stop any bumps and bruises. John likes to roll off the back of the couch. Today I caught him standing on the ottoman and jumping across to the couch. And later he was pushing the empty laundry basket to the top of the stairs which scared the bejebus (sp?) out of me since he was just pretending it was a ride at Disney.

BOYS!!!!

Cherrie said...

OK, here's my advise...being that I have managed to get my boys to the ripe old ages of 9 & 15:

For the bloody noses, which seem to just appear for no reason between the ages of 8 & 11...ice on the back of the neck...who know...not me, Daralee passed that along as Austin was having a gusher at the field last year!!

Make sure Alli doesn't hit MO in the mouth with the softball bat. Tyler hit Austin at baseball camp and knocked 1/2 of his two permanent bottom front teeth out.
So you know, it was Austin's fault...he walked into the batting cage and knows better!!

Lastly, get used to it! They will always be beaten and bruised with no explanation as to what happened.

Love ya and welcome to the REAL world of Boys!!

Cherrie

JuJu - said...

Poor guy and poor Momma...
welcome to the booboo club;)

miss you

Anonymous said...

Oh boys boys, with having 3 boys you learn NOT to run really fast when you hear a fall because really they will just bounce back up- like Mo. Blood, not a bad thing just something you have to clean up. And really you'll get sick of explaining yourself to other and you'll quit. Wait until he's a bit older and his shins are riddled with bruises, it'll look like you beat him with a bat! They're just rougher and tougher then girls. Mo is ALL BOY, get use to it!

Love Ya!
Jenn- proud mom of my three boys- 15, 13 and 8

Katie said...

HEE HEE !! With my first two kiddos I always told people "I had a girl THEN I had a BOY " that is when the blood started ...so I hear ya !!! Now he is riding dirtbikes and skateboarding and THAT really scares me !!! Brayen on the otherhand (so far) seems a little more mild !!?? So anyway good luck and those boys do keep us living on the edge !!

Madelyn's Mommy said...

Ok so I thought I wanted a boy next. :0)

You are too funny. But your right the mouth does bleed a whole lot more than it needs too. Madi fell one day and busted her gum and I freaked out from all the blood.

Have a good weekend.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

This is a HILARIOUS (and TRUUUUE) post!!!!!!!! LOL Your children are beautiful!!! (and to answer your question about my camera it's a Canon Rebel XTi)

Jenelle said...

So true! Most little boys I've ever been around are so injury-prone! Colter hasn't quite go there yet, but he goes nonstop!

Love the song choice. :)

Jenelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

They're nuts, no? It does get a "little" (emphasis on little) better when he learns to put his arms out to break the fall instead of smacking his face on the floor.

Mine is famous for looking everywhere, especially behind him while he's walking. I'm constantly saying, "watch where you're going!"

Boys.

Ruthanne said...

If I put a band-aid on all of Andrew's cuts and scrapes, there would be very little skin left showing. lol
I'm still thinking that this is better than a pre-teen/teenage girl. (How do I know? Because I WAS one! lol)

Jenny said...

um... welcome to my life!

-Jenny

Trina G. said...

oh, poor Mo. He must be a dare devil in training. I'm pretty lucky....Asa is really careful and has only had to be rushed to the emergency room for swallowing a sharp object:)

Alli's pics are beautiful. You must be so proud.

Soltana said...

Oh the stories I could tell...and it seems that Cerah is following in her brothers footsteps.

I know it freaks me out allll the time, but I have told them:
Shake it off

I know bad momma:(

Wait until he plays football:)

Have a good weekend

Andrea said...

Gosh, this is my life. K. falls all the time. He's getting better at it, but he will wipe out pretty hard at least once a week. He just gets up, shakes it off and keeps going. Last week (before we lost Doggie) he ran right into a large mirror at the store. I guess he thought he saw another Guat cutie. He cried for about two seconds (VERY loudly) and then was done. Still amazes me how he bounces right back.

GREAT post!

Keri said...

How funny... I think our kids must be related!
Well, you've read my blog and seen the cast, helmet, etc. Needless to say, Luca and Mo are both in the "all boy" club. Luca bleeds at least every other day. Cuts and bruises are something he just "shakes off" now... it's very cute.
I know what you're going through - keep your chin up... you're not alone! I'm here for you, cuz!

Anonymous said...

Jill: I have to agree with all here; however, Cherrie and Jenn - I know these clans and can't agree more with them. Like Jenn - raising 3 boys - by the time Mikie came along, you just slow down. OMG, I was just saying to someone yesterday that I am so embarassed to send Austin and Mikie to school in shorts because their legs look like we beat them. Austin wiped out on his dirt bike Monday while we were riding - big old cut on the knee; Mikie fell off the tree we cut down - big old cut on the shin. Bruises - boy, I can't tell you where half of them came from!!!! I know its a cliche - but Mo is ALL BOYS. You will get used to it eventually. LOL Just keep lots of bandages and neosporin in the house!!!

Kim - "nurse" to 3 boys!!

kc mom said...

I found your blog through Mandy-Land. I too have a huge age gap with my kids. My daughter is 16 and my son is 21 months. I can't believe the differences in them. My daughter has never been to the emergency room.....my son was there at 6 months!!!! Thanks for the funny post. Throughly enjoyed reading it knowing I am not the only mom out there like this!!!
Eileen