Thursday, August 14, 2008

FF(almost)Friday: Back to School

I have been such a bad blogger, so I figured I better get on the ball here and at least post a Favorite Foto Friday... even though it is Thursday night!

The theme this week is Back to School... Alli (and Jeff although school administrators work all summer contrary to what some people tell me!) does not start school until the 25th, nothing says back to school like our youth football bonfire! Mo was at home with Daddy since the weather was rainy and chilly, then humid, then not... weird... so they just hung out. ( He got his Daddy-daughter date with Alli Tuesday going to the Pirate game and riding the Gateway Clipper. They had a great time!)

I have been involved as a cheer advisor with youth football for 7 years. I also coached high school last year. Obviously, once Mario came, I thought I should turn in my pom pons (yes, it is Pom PON, look it up!) and stay home...so at the end of the 07 season, I stepped down... well, that has not really happened since I have been at the field each night they have cheer practice. These woman can't keep me away. I just love working with the girls, and with Alli coaching, it gets me out of the house 2 nights a week. I just love the program and the change in the girls throughout the years.

I remember Alli as a 6 year old in her little cheer uniform kind of just standing there and looking around, now she is coaching a squad of 22 8-9 year olds! I really have never been more proud of her and how well she is doing with those kids. She is really taking charge and it is is nice for a mom to see. Most of our girls who have gone through the program become high school cheerleaders and coach for us... it is great to see them grow up and go off to college!

one of the cheer moms took this of Al and I on picture day
the bonfire: there is nothing like a good bonfire to make me feel that Fall is starting to arrive...
this pic does not do justice to the amount of people there. Our non-profit story is kinda cool.... we have a dirt racetrack in our town which brings in folks from all over Friday night to watch the races... a few years ago, the owners gave us land to build our field... a lot of land...if you build it, they will come, is kinda the motto with this story! With the help of many, an entire football complex went in where there was just a patch of trees before. We have a fenced in field, scoreboard, bleachers, full concession stand and practice fields... all right beside a racetrack! It is amazing to see the hard work of individuals in a small community come together to build something for the kids... that was their only motivation - they ask nothing in return.. only the smiling faces of the kids. Awesome.

lots of "mini" football players running around at the bonfire
Alli's group performed their half-time routine and did very well.
She was happy to get to spend time afterward with her favorite Junior High school player, Cameron. He is just the nicest kid!
Cam and Al, hanging out... they played a lot of football!
why do teenagers get annoyed by cameras????
There is a group of people who do a heck of a lot of work to get the season started and keep it going year after year... Cherrie is one such individual. I have been friends with Cherrie for a LONG time... some of you may "know" her since she loves reading many of your blogs... well, I am lucky enough to call her my friend in real life. She is such a beautiful, caring, warm-hearted person whom I am hoping will rub off on me.. hee hee!
(Neither of these woman will be thrilled that I am posting these pics, but I need you to keep in mind that a half hour before, it was raining all over us, then it was crazy humid... and we were all running and doing things... I still think that we all look like Hot Tamales!)


and this is Cherrie with our dear friend, Penny. Honestly, she is one of the most generous people I know and works so hard for this organization. I am proud to be surrounded by such strong and diverse woman who work so hard for our kids - this woman is amazing to me... she is inspiring me to be a better person everyday. Penny and I have been friends for 7 years and met through this group. Thank God.
There is a core group of people who have worked with this group for years and years - sometimes we don't see eye to eye, but in the end, even tonight, looking over at the kids while "We are the Champions" was playing... and all of the kids were grouped together singing along, I could see Cherrie tearing up... as was I ... I am sure we were ALL thinking the same thing... THIS IS WHY YOU DO IT...
for them.

post signature

16 comments:

Cherrie said...

Thanks my dear friend. The kind words are just what I needed tonight!...even though I look like a sweaty, fat pumpkin head!!

I had hoped that nobody saw me tear up, but at that moment, I realize this is why I do what I do!
There are many times that I do wonder why.........

I know I have made 2 very special friends in you and Penny and NOTHING will come between that relationship. (Not even my 15 year son, if he is so stupid as to screw up at school and have to have Principal Lesko kick his butt!)

Love ya,
Cherrie

Jenelle said...

This post makes me ready for fall. Football and bonfires--yipee! Working with kids can be very rewarding; I agree. :)

I never knew it was pom pon. Hmmm...You learn something everyday!

Kathy said...

Great post...I cannot believe summer is almost over. It went by too fast. Your daughter is adorable and I love her picture taking avoidance pose!

Anonymous said...

AWW I miss everyone! I always LOVED FYF! Love Penny and Cherrie too!!

Trina G. said...

The bonfire looks so fun. I can imagine the smell and the humidity!! Josh and I went to W.Virginia around this time of year a few years ago, and I had never experience humidity like that.

You are such a great mom. Alli is beautiful.

Sarah said...

You are right... nothing says back to school quite like football season!! The bonfire looks like so much fun! Alli is gorgeous!

Rebekah said...

What great pictures ... I love the bonfire photo - it just screams fall, pumpkins and Halloween ... thank goodness though it is still August! Ali is beautiful and I am sure she is excited for school .... have a great weekend!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2 too!

Anonymous said...

Love the new pics of your pretty girl!!!!! Teens and cameras dont mix in this house either!

Debbie said...

Great pictures!!! High school football games are great in the fall!!!

Debbie

Cameo said...

wonderful post and nice to finally put a face to the name for Cherrie!

Soltana said...

I LOVE bonfires!! We haven;t had one since I was in school. I may need to mention that to teh coach for this year:) He;s married to a girl I went to school with, maybe I have some pull:)

How grown up does Miss Alli look. She is beautiful, I can say it and I'm not her mom:)

Mr Mo is getting soooo big, I can still remember waiting for him to get home:) It seems like yesterday that we "met".
Next time you have a street fair, I'm coming!!!

I'm catching up:) I'm gonna try to do better now that I'm home more:)

Hugs to you all

Ruthanne said...

I miss Friday night football games so much (except when it was 30 degrees. lol) I LOVE fall and I'm (almost) ready for it. :)

Robyn said...

What great pics!! I love football season!!

Robyn

Kelly said...

I want to go to a bonfire!!!! It looks like so much FUN!!!!!!

Keri said...

I just love the new blog design - I am jealous! I am now caught up and longing for fall after seeing this post - my favorite time of year! The kids are gorgeous - I seriously need to meet that little guy before I leave!

Mandy said...

Bonfires are the best! I love the song on the sidebar! I have it on my blog as well. LOL.